When you drive through Detroit’s neighborhoods, you see run down abandoned homes, front yards filled with trash, empty lots overgrown, and quiet streets. There are many incredible people who are motivated to turn the city around and have their hands in the comeback. Chelsea and I are both incredibly invested in giving back, always looking for ways to get involved. When we saw Mayor Duggan on Channel 7 discussing the Detroit Adopt-a-Park Initiative, we immediately knew we had to get Chick in the Mitt involved. So here we are with about half an acre of land that has been completely neglected for who knows how long that is our responsibility for the next 6 months. We have a ton of work to do, but are so thrilled to have the opportunity to maintain & beautify this property for the neighborhood.
- Under the last Mayor, only 25 of Detroit’s 270 parks were maintained.
- Mayor Duggan”s Adopt-a-Park initiative will keep 150 parks maintained and usable for residents to enjoy as the weather gets warm.
- Around 65 of those parks will be maintained by businesses, churches, and community groups… (and Chick in the Mitt).
- Parks will be maintained from May 1- October 31.
- Volunteers are expected to mow, weed, and pick up trash. Other projects can be done as well to improve the space.
Interested in helping?
If you are interested in helping Chelsea and I maintain the park, we are looking for volunteers and donators. Here are some ways you can help:
- Keep updated on the blog by subscribing and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Spread the word… share our posts or tell people you know who may want to get involved.
- Donate… your time, materials, or make a monetary donation to be put towards the park (flowers, benches, playground)
- Sign up to help us out here